Welcome to the Belmont Theater District!
Chicago’s Largest Theater District
You can’t tell the history of Chicago without telling the history of Chicago Theater.
- Lincoln Lodge offered free standup – and the chance for folks to get up at the mic and try their own hand at it.
- Otherworld Theatre introduces their new space to OHC guests, and their mailing list reaches an all-time high.
- Theater Wit’s backstage tour-that-never-stopped. Featured: Set of Shattered Globe Theatre’s stunning CRIME & PUNISHMENT.
- Not featured: Laugh Factory welcomed over 200 people into their world of comedy over the 2 days of OHC.
OCTOBER IS THE BTD MONTH OF THEATER!!
ONLY A FEW WEEKS LEFT to take advantage of all the amazing programming, ticket discounts, drinks deals and FREE ENTRY to select BTD Theaters throughout October.
For detailed offers and how to book your tickets, visit the BTD MOT 2018 Event Page
See what the critics are saying about the stellar Fall line-up of theater in the BTD.
Click here for full info
- “Set on the Kansas frontier, American Blues Theatre’s FLYIN’ WEST has a juicy melodrama and serious story, both….” – Chris Jones, Chicago Tribune
- “This gorefest parody is a Halloween tradition for 20 years … in Annoyance’s SPLATTER THEATER, onstage butchery and gut-unreeling are the true stars…” – Chicago Reader
- “…Through efficient and evocative production design and play-centric direction, Eclectic Full Contact Theatre’s DEAR BRUTUS distills the presumptuous longings of the human heart. Recommended!” – Chicago Theatre Review
- “We felt like we ALL got funnier after the show! Could. Not. Stop. laughing all night.” – Fan of the all-female comedy nite, Diamond Comedy Hour at LAUGH FACTORY
- “…The weirdest thing about MEANWHILE… at Otherworld Theatre is not that it’s a superhero comic come to life, it’s how enjoyable and moving playwright Kelly Jean Fitzsimmons’s excellently plotted saga turns out to be. Highly Recommended!” – Chicago Reader
- “BYOB with a great atmosphere” — “Great place, great energy.” — “The small and intimate space is fabulous.” – Fans of THE PLAYGROUND THEATER
- “Remy Bumppo’s stark, mind-blowing FRANKENSTEIN gets to the core of the novel with eerie impact. FRANKENSTEIN’s deep dive into the matter is as scary as anything you’re apt to see this Halloween season.” – Chicago Sun-Times
- “…The fun is in the clue-following, the red-herring-spotting and the seat-clutching tension as the suspects gather in the drawing room for the moment of exposure. EDWIN DROOD leaves behind moments of shimmering musical pleasure to savor, long after the miscreant of the night has been booed off the stage.” – NY Times, show coming to Saint Sebastian Players
- “…Count this among the finest offerings from a Chicago theater: Shattered Globe Theatre’s kinetic staging of Chris Hannan’s adaptation of CRIME & PUNISHMENT is flawlessly directed by Louis Contey, Eleven actors simultaneously attain personal bests in 155 minutes. Highly Recommended!” – Stage and Cinema
- “A SHAYNA MAIDEL (at TimeLine Theatre) is a neglected play from the 1980s that truly is much richer than I, for one, had ever realized. Beautifully detailed and exquisitely acted. ★★★★.” – Chicago Tribune, Chris Jones
Use our What’s Playing Now calendar to find the Perfect Show from the 100+ shows playing EVERY WEEK in the BTD! Award-winning, affordable and diverse theater offerings are available in the Belmont Theater District All Year Round.
A huge WELCOME to new members of the BTD theater-loving family from our super fun BTD Season Launch Cookout! A fantastic time was had by all – from tasty treats & drinkable drinks to live entertainment from BTD Theaters. If you missed Eclectic’s Disney cabaret, Otherworld’s lightsaber duel, outstanding standup from Laugh Factory – or you just want all the season info and ticket offers from Shattered Globe Theatre, The Playground Theater, and Remy Bumppo … don’t forget that BTDChicago.com is Your Ultimate Guide to Chicago’s Largest Theater District!
OK – so not all of them. And no one has won anything yet. But we are proud as punch that BTD Theaters have received an astonishing and well-deserved 16 EQUITY JEFF AWARD NOMINATIONS! Top marks go to American Blues Theater’s BUDDY: THE BUDDY HOLLY MUSICAL for nominations in Directing, Lead Male Performance, Best Musical, and Best Musical Ensemble. Huge congrats as well to BTD Theaters TimeLine Theatre Company, Theater Wit, Shattered Globe Theatre Company, and Remy Bumppo Theatre Company for being up for Equity Jeff Awards in performance, set design. sound design, costume design, and projection design. See if your favorite show or theater company gets a mention – and CONGRATS to ALL our fantastic BTD Theaters for their work over the past year, making Chicago neighborhood theater second to NONE!!!!
GOODBYE TO FESTIVAL SEASON …
We loved seeing all you theater fans at the Pride Parade, the Belmont Sheffield Music Fest, Lakeview East’s Festival of the Arts, and Lakeview’s Taco Fest — where you got info about the 100’s of shows on offer every week in the BTD along with ticket deals, meet-n-greets w/artists, insider theater info and more. See everyone on the streets of the BTD next year!
Next time you are in the Belmont Theater District … LOOK UP! We are beyond excited to see the amazing work of Theater Wit, Shattered Globe Theatre, TimeLine Theatre Co and Annoyance Theatre & Bar representing the 20+ BTD theaters and the amazing wealth and breadth of theater to be found in the BTD. All hail Lakeview East and Lakeview Chambers of Commerce, who made this wonderful promotion possible!
Theater Wit’s “The Antelope Party” by Eric John Meyer, featuring performer Edward Mawere.
Timeline Theatre Company’s “In The Next Room, or the vibrator play” by Sarah Ruhl, directed by Mechelle Moe, 2017, featuring performer Rochelle Therrien. Photo Credit: Lara Goetsch.
Annoyance Theatre & Bar’s “Bite Size Broadway”, featuring performers Jordan Wilson and Evan Mills. Photo Credit: Smart Yeti Creative Agency.
Shattered Globe Theatre’s “The Heavens Are Hung in Black” by James Still. Larry Grimm played Abraham Lincoln. Photo Credit: Joe Martinez.